Saturday, April 29, 2006

 

Now unblocked

Finally, our blog has been unblocked by blogger. It took 5 emails for them to get around to looking at it and realising that it wasn't a spam blog. Now that the little drama is over - I wanted to mention the premiers awards that I attended the other day. It was great to see four multimedia students, one from Warrandyte High, Forest Hill Secondary College and Wesley receiving top honours for multimedia.

The two hour ceremony ran like clockwork, with around 280 students receiving awards from a selection of (minor) celebrities. In fact, I hadn't heard of any of them but maybe I don't get out enough. The Premier and Govenor were there as well Lyn Kosky. One sour note that struck me though was the Premiers address. After acknowledging the special guests presenting the awards he singled out one person for a special mention. She was one of the swimmers who was in the gold relay team at the Commonwealth Games. Now, I didn't watch the games and I didn't know who she was but the Premier obviously thought she was great. He mentioned how she was studying at Deakin and also doing the gruelling training she undertakes in order to compete at an international level. He talked about perseverence and dediction etc.. However, the other special guests in the audience were composed of scientists, doctors, media personalities and assorted others who have also worked hard to get to somewhere. It made me sad that sport dominates all other acheivements. Personally, I couldn't care less about sport and I wait for the day when it takes a back seat to the more significant achievements in science and medicine and all the other dedicated professions where perseverance means saving lives rather than winning a useless gold medal in sport.

Other than that, I thought the awards were great as was the music and performances by primary and high school students. It was a thrill to have one of my students receive the award because I know how hard he worked last year - as did I. Gosh, I wish someone would give me a medal!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]